For this design/visual assignment I used the Are We There Yet? idea and applied it to my character Ackerley.
Since I have dressed as this character before I already owned the cloak I always imagine him wearing. I decided to avoid a full costume for one picture to have my photo taken from behind wearing the cloak and a pair of brown boots. This was the original photo.
I then found a picture of a forest and added both of these into GIMP as layers using file > open as layers…
I then used the intelligent scissors selection tool and the pen that came with my computer to trace my outline for the image.
Then I had to switch the selection so it selected everything outside of the silhouette using the select > invert tool.
Selecting the eraser next, I increased the size and erased the entire selected area of the image, leaving just the silhouette.
Then I had to use the invert tool again to reselect the image and then use layer > anchor Layer to make sure that the image was solid again.
Then I was able to use the tools to change and distort the image to fit the frame. This mainly included flipping, scaling, and shearing the image.
Then I was able to erase any excess around the image before exporting the file.
For the video portion of my final I did a variation on the Where Do You Want To Go? assignment. I decided to keep the theme of a montage of places, but instead I wanted to show his journey using images to show the passage of time. I chose to pick videos of the different areas of forests he had to travel through and set it to appropriate music, the theme I created earlier in the project.
To do this assignment I used OpenShot Video editor. I first had to import all my clips, music, and title cards into the project. To do this I used import files in the top bar.
Once everything was imported, I dragged each clip down to the bottom and lined them up in the order I wanted. Once they were in order I dragged them to their desired length.
Once I had all clips and audio dragged in I had to add a fade between each clip using right click on the clip > fade > entire clip > fade in and out (fast)
Once I watched it through I was able to export it as an MP4 video.
For the audio portion of my final, I decided to come up with my own idea by creating a song myself that went along with my story. As my character Ackerley is a bard and plays the flute I decided to use musescore to create a simple flute tune that goes along with the idea of adventuring.
The way I made this song was by first opening a new score in the musescore software under file>new…
Then I had to select my presets. The first one was to name the piece and put in the name of the composer.
Then I selected choose instrument rather than the clef I wanted so it would auto pick it. I then Picked flute and clicked add to score to choose the instrument.
Then I had to pick my key.
As for the time and tempo I kept the presets but to choose another time these are adjustable.
Then it was time to add in the actual notes. To do this I selected the note length I wanted to play in the top bar and used the letters on the key board to add them into the score.
I did this to write my whole song, then I had to export it. I went to File>Export… then in the export popup selected MP3 audio as my output before doing the final export.